How to Make Breve Coffee: A Guide to This Delicious Espresso-Based Drink
Breve coffee is a deliciously creamy and decadent coffee beverage that is easy to make at home. It is made by combining a shot or two of espresso with steamed half-and-half, resulting in a rich and creamy drink that is perfect for coffee lovers who enjoy a strong and bold flavor.
If you are looking to switch up your regular coffee routine and try something new, making a breve coffee at home is a great place to start.
With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of know-how, you can create a cafe-quality drink right in your own kitchen. Keep reading for our step-by-step guide on how to make a delicious and satisfying breve coffee at home.
What is Breve Coffee?
Breve coffee is an espresso-based drink made with equal parts espresso and steamed half-and-half. It is a rich, creamy, and thick variation of the latte that originated in the United States.
The word “breve” means “short” in Italian, referring to the short shot of espresso used as the base of the drink.
The creamy texture of breve coffee comes from using half-and-half cream instead of milk. The higher fat content of half-and-half also increases the foam, making the drink fluffier than other coffee drinks.
Breve coffee is typically served as a dessert beverage, but it can be enjoyed at any time of the day.
Although the origins of the name lie in Italian or Spanish, depending on who you ask, this is essentially an American drink. Breve coffee is a popular choice for those who enjoy a sweeter, creamier coffee experience.
How to Make Breve Coffee
To make a delicious breve coffee, you’ll need the following:
- Finely ground coffee
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (about 4 ounces)
- Sweetener (optional)
- Espresso-making apparatus
- Milk frothing tool or whisk
- Coffee mug
- Spoon or measuring cup
Follow these simple steps to make a perfect breve coffee:
- Prepare the espresso: If you’re using coffee beans, use a burr grinder and get fine ground coffee. The same grind size applies to pre-ground coffee as well. Once the coffee grounds are ready, get the espresso machine into action. You can move to the next step before you pull the shot of espresso.
- Steam the half-and-half: Pour the half-and-half into a milk frothing tool or a saucepan and heat it until it’s steaming. If you’re using a milk frothing tool, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Combine the espresso and steamed half-and-half: Pour the shot of espresso into a coffee mug and add the steamed half-and-half. Stir well.
- Add sweetener (optional): If you prefer your coffee sweet, add your favorite sweetener to taste. Stir again and enjoy!
And that’s it! Making a perfect breve coffee at home is easy and straightforward.
Caffeine and Calorie Content
When it comes to caffeine content, breve coffee is comparable to other espresso-based drinks like lattes and cappuccinos. The amount of caffeine in a cup of breve coffee depends on the number of espresso shots used.
A single shot of espresso contains around 68-75 mg of caffeine, so a cup of breve coffee made with one shot will have the same amount of caffeine. However, if you prefer a stronger kick, you can add more shots of espresso to your drink.
While breve coffee can be a delicious treat, it is important to keep in mind that it is also high in calories. A 12-ounce breve latte contains around 426 calories and 37 grams of fat, making it a calorie-dense beverage.
If you are watching your calorie intake, you may want to consider ordering a smaller size or opting for a lower-calorie alternative.
Here are some tips to help you make a healthier version of breve coffee:
- Use skim or low-fat milk instead of half-and-half to reduce the calorie and fat content of your drink.
- Limit the amount of sweetener you add to your coffee. Instead, try using natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup in moderation.
- Experiment with different flavorings like cinnamon or vanilla extract to add flavor without adding extra calories.
Remember, enjoying a cup of breve coffee as an occasional treat can be a delicious way to indulge in your caffeine cravings. However, if you are looking for a more health-conscious option, there are ways to make your drink lighter without sacrificing flavor.
Find out about all the different types of coffee drinks in our complete guide.
Here are some common questions and answers about Breve coffee:
What is the difference between a Breve and a Latte?
A Breve is made with half-and-half cream, while a latte is made with whole milk. This makes the Breve richer and creamier than a latte.
Can I make a Breve with milk instead of half-and-half?
Technically, you can make a Breve with milk, but it won’t be as rich and creamy and it won’t then be a Breve coffee. The half-and-half is what gives the Breve its unique flavor and texture.
How many calories are in a Breve?
A typical Breve contains around 300-400 calories, depending on the size and the amount of flavorings added. It’s not the healthiest drink option, but it can be a delicious treat once in a while.
Can I make a Breve without an espresso machine?
Yes, you can make a Breve without an espresso machine by using strong coffee or instant espresso powder. Simply heat up the half-and-half and mix it with the coffee or espresso powder.
What are some common flavorings for a Breve?
Some popular flavorings for a Breve include vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, and chocolate. You can also experiment with other flavors to create your own unique Breve creation.
My name is Dana Dupree and I am an avid coffee lover. Since I began college and realized what a heavy load writing majors took on, I have been a fan of the bean juice.
My job has taken me all over the US on book tours and press conferences, and my favorite part about the trip is exploring the best places to grab my cup of Joe.