Are you a coffee lover who struggles to choose between an iced latte and an iced coffee on a hot summer day? Both drinks are refreshing, delicious, and perfect for beating the heat, but what exactly is the difference between the two?
While both drinks contain coffee and ice, the main difference between an iced latte and an iced coffee is the type of coffee used. Iced coffee is made using cooled brewed coffee, while an iced latte is made using strong espresso shots. The difference in coffee type affects the taste, strength, and overall experience of both drinks.
But that’s not all. The ratio of coffee to milk in each drink also plays a significant role in the taste and texture.
Iced coffee typically contains more coffee and less milk, resulting in a stronger and less creamy taste whereas an iced latte contains more milk and less coffee, resulting in a creamier and less bitter taste.
Difference between Iced Coffee and Iced Latte
The flavor of iced coffee and iced latte is quite different. Iced coffee has a strong and robust coffee flavor with a slightly bitter aftertaste. On the other hand, iced latte has a creamy, smooth and sweet flavor. This is because iced latte is made with milk, which adds a creamy sweetness to the drink.
When it comes to caffeine content, iced coffee usually contains more caffeine than iced latte. This is because iced coffee is made using brewed coffee, which has a higher caffeine content than espresso used in iced latte.
However, the actual caffeine content can vary depending on the size of the drink and the strength of the coffee or espresso used.
Calories and Nutrition
When it comes to calories and nutrition, iced latte and iced coffee are quite similar.
Both drinks are relatively low in calories and contain some amount of protein and calcium when made with milk. However, the addition of sugar or flavored syrups can significantly increase the calorie count of both drinks.
It is important to note that iced latte usually contains more milk than iced coffee, which can increase the calorie and fat content of the drink.
What is Iced Coffee?
Iced coffee is a refreshing beverage made by brewing coffee beans and then cooling the coffee down with ice. The ingredients used to make iced coffee include:
- Coffee beans
- Ice cubes
- Sugar or other sweeteners (optional)
- Milk or cream (optional)
The process of making iced coffee is fairly simple. Here are the steps to follow:
- Brew a pot of coffee using your preferred method. You can use a French press, drip coffee maker, or any other method you prefer.
- Allow the coffee to cool down to room temperature.
- Fill a glass with ice cubes.
- Pour the cooled coffee over the ice cubes.
- Add sugar or other sweeteners, if desired.
- Add milk or cream, if desired.
- Stir and enjoy!
Some people prefer to make iced coffee using cold-brewed coffee, which involves steeping coffee grounds in cold water for several hours. This method can result in a smoother, less bitter flavor.
What is Iced Latte?
An iced latte is a coffee-based beverage that is typically made using the following ingredients:
- Espresso shots
- Cold milk
- Sugar or other sweeteners (optional)
- Ice cubes
The amount of each ingredient used can vary depending on personal preference and the recipe being followed.
To make an iced latte, follow these simple steps:
- Brew one or two shots of espresso and set aside to cool.
- Add cold milk to a glass, leaving room for the espresso and ice.
- Add sugar or other sweeteners to taste, if desired.
- Add the cooled espresso shots to the glass.
- Add ice cubes to the glass.
- Stir the mixture to combine all ingredients.
The result is a refreshing and creamy beverage that is perfect for hot summer days or anytime you want a delicious coffee drink.
Which One to Choose?
When it comes to choosing between an iced latte and iced coffee, personal preference plays a significant role.
If you prefer a stronger and bolder flavor, iced coffee is the way to go. On the other hand, if you enjoy a creamy and smooth flavor, an iced latte is perhaps the perfect choice.
The occasion can also influence your decision on whether to go for an iced latte or iced coffee.
- If you are in a hurry and need a quick caffeine boost, iced coffee is the best option. It is simple and fast to make, and you can customize it to your liking.
- However, if you are looking for a more indulgent and luxurious drink to enjoy on a hot summer day, an iced latte is the way to go. It is a perfect pick-me-up for a lazy afternoon, and it can be a great addition to your brunch or dessert menu.
Ultimately, the choice between iced latte and iced coffee comes down to your personal preference and the occasion.
Find out about all the different types of coffee drinks in our complete guide.
My name is Dana Dupree and I am an avid coffee lover. Since I began college and realized what a heavy load writing majors took on, I have been a fan of the bean juice.
My job took me all over the US on book tours and press conferences, and my favorite part about the trip was exploring the best places to grab my cup of Joe.